Organization: The SecDev Foundation, Canada
Contract Type: Full-time employment
Responsible for: Top-level administrative oversight of Foundation operations and human resources
Duty Station: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Position Start Date: As soon as we have the right candidate
The SecDev Foundation is known for innovative global programming that helps local populations navigate the risks and opportunities of our digital world. From small beginnings, we have grown rapidly; our on-the-ground programming now extends across most regions of the world. We work to support digital well-being for all, with a special focus on civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups. To manage a rapid growth trajectory, we have created a new Deputy Director position, to serve as “second-in-command” of the Foundation overall. A core member of the Executive Team, the Deputy Director will support the Executive Director in all aspects of operations, including top-level oversight of Foundation administrative operations, grant compliance and programming staff, with strong contributions to proposal development, and fund-raising.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- A highly experienced administrator / operations manager with proven programme management and leadership skills to strongly support the Foundation’s rapid growth trajectory, and uphold its reputation for programming excellence.
- The ideal candidate has a track-record of increasing seniority in organizational, programme and people management, as well as grant administration, budgeting and proposal development. That experience, at least in part, has been with a small to medium sized iNGO, that was lean in staff but high in performance.
- Preferably your experience is within a human rights/development organization that implements a broad array of global programming. Even better if you have experience with innovative development/protection programmes in difficult contexts, as that is what we do.
- You are not a Financial Controller. We already have that position filled! No, you report to the Executive Director and function as the Foundation’s second-in-command. You are a Swiss Army Knife, ensuring top-level administrative excellence of the Foundation’s programmes, projects, and well-being of staff.
- Overall, you are wise, seasoned, nimble, meticulous, and recognize that our awesome staff is our biggest asset.
- You are as passionate about our work as we are.
ABOUT THE SECDEV FOUNDATION
The SecDev Foundation is a not-for-profit think-do tank based in Ottawa, Canada. We work globally at the cross-roads of security, development and the game-changing influence of cyberspace. We are a relatively small organization, that swings above our weight on the international stage.
Our mission is to support digital well-being for all, with a special focus on civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups. We help communities pursue digital opportunity, while understanding how to better control the technologies they so readily use. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on sound policies and savvy digital citizens. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies pursue new forms of resilience in the digital sphere. We prioritize local partnerships to ensure programming is responsive, inclusive and yields lasting capacities.
We have current operational programming in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and Eurasia. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google.
Day-to-day operational management of the Foundation’s operations and programming.
- Reporting to the Executive Director, and working closely with the Financial Controller and Administrative team, provide top-level oversight of the Foundation’s administration and programming, including human resource management;
- Manage the organization in the absence of the executive director.
Strategic Planning and Growth
- Assist the executive director with strategic planning; coordination of the organization’s programs, projects, and policy positions; human resources planning, hiring and retention;
- Communicate organization goals and operational plans to all levels of the organization and to donors.
And so much more… but are you interested?
- Apply, and then let’s start the conversation…
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the email subject line write: “Deputy Director, The SecDev Foundation” Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate to assume the second-in-command position for The SecDev Foundation. Your competitive cover letter will show us how your key experience fits our key requirements.
Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents.
Deadline for Applications: Until filled
Hire desired: May 2019, but the right fit is everything.
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.