Organization: The SecDev Foundation, Canada
Contract Type: Full-time or part-time employment
Responsible for: Centralized digital safety content management servicing all Foundation programmes (global)
Duty Station: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Position Start Date: As soon as we have the right candidate
The SecDev Foundation has developed a global reputation for innovative programming that helps local populations navigate the risks and opportunities of our digital world. From small beginnings, we have grown rapidly; our on-the-ground programming extends across most regions of the world. A core component of our work involves creating and amalgamating digital safety content in English that will be further localized to support our global programmes in digital safety training, technical assistance, online portals and campaigns that target civil society organizations, women and youth. This position will help us to develop and manage a “Best of Breed” Digital Safety package that draws on Lessons Learned from across our six years of programming. It will serve as the “Digital Safety Guru” for the Foundation overall, working with all of our programmes. And this position will also help with online emergency digital response, and in-field training and assessments as required. The Digital Safety Content Manager is key to ensuring the future excellence across all Foundation programmes. This role will directly improve the safety and well-being of digital citizens around the world.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- A highly experienced digital safety expert, with strong technical knowledge, tempered by proven experience delivering digital safety basics to civil society actors.
- The ideal candidate has a track-record of understanding how non-techies learn, and how text-heavy learning guidances need to be adapted into simple “how tos”, infographics, and video-based tools.
- You are passionate about digital safety. You understand that digital safety can mean the difference between life and death. And for this reason, you are super-organized and meticulous in your approach to content development and management.
- We repeat: you are super-organized, and able to help manage our “best of breed” ambitions;
- If you don’t know something, you don’t pretend. You do your research and come back with a credible answer. You are also not afraid to ask questions;
- You have superb interpersonal skills. You are ready and able to work with programme managers that run programmes in some of the most difficult operational contexts in the world. You are eager to support them, and ensure their beneficiaries get the best help available.
- Ideally, you also have solid digital safety training experience — online, in-the-field — and you are happy to be deployed to the field from time-to-time;
- Ideally, your excellent English skills are complemented with fluency in another language;
- You want to make a difference in this world.
ABOUT THE SECDEV FOUNDATION
The SecDev Foundation is a not-for-profit think-do tank based in Ottawa, Canada. We work globally at the cross-roads of security, development and the game-changing influence of cyberspace. We are a relatively small organization, that swings above our weight on the international stage.
Our mission is to support digital well-being for all, with a special focus on civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups. We help communities pursue digital opportunity, while understanding how to better control the technologies they so readily use. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on sound policies and savvy digital citizens. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies pursue new forms of resilience in the digital sphere. We prioritize local partnerships to ensure programming is responsive, inclusive and yields lasting capacities.
We have current operational programming in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and Eurasia. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
If you think you have what it takes, please apply so we can start the conversation.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the email subject line write: “Digital Safety Content Manager/Expert, The SecDev Foundation” Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate to assume this central position for The SecDev Foundation. Your competitive cover letter will show us how your key experience fits our key requirements.
Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents.
Deadline for Applications: Until filled
Hire desired: June 2019
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.