The SecDev Foundation is looking to fill the role of National Coordinator for a new project that will support digital safety and digital citizenship initiatives in Myanmar.
Contract type: Fixed term, 12 months full-time with potential to extend.
Responsible for: Support the regional program manager on project design and implementation; coordination and liaison with project stakeholders and subcontractors; and reporting on results to the project’s management team.
Project focus: Digital safety and digital citizenship engagement for youth in Myanmar, with a secondary focus internet policy research.
Duty station: Yangon (Singapore is also possible).
We are looking for:
- A solid understanding of, and interest in, digital citizenship and digital safety best practice.
- Experience in working for non-profit programs and organizations, implementing campaigns and other activities.
- Strong organizational and teamwork skills, including managing subcontractors and organizing offline events.
- Experience with digital communications, online marketing and social media strategy.
- Deep knowledge of Myanmar’s social and political environment, with experience working on legal and social issues.
- Ability to network, coordinate and cooperate with partners, researchers, government authorities, local communities and other NGOs.
- Fluency in Burmese (including strong writing skills) is essential; excellent English language skills are also required.
- Experience with online campaigning, social media analytics and/or development of digital safety outreach materials are all definite pluses.
- A demonstrated commitment to gender equality and diversity.
- Assist the senior program manager in developing action plans and milestones for key project components.
- Assist the program manager in implementing project activities and in reporting to the project management team on progress and results.
- Maintain a workplan and liaise with project stakeholders on upcoming activities, milestones and deadlines.
- Help develop and update results reporting metrics, working with project collaborators to ensure timely progress updates.
- Assist in writing bids, contracts and other administrative documents in support of project activities.
- A university degree, or equivalent professional experience. Preference will be given to candidates with postgraduate degrees or certificates in fields related to international development and public policy (such as social sciences, law, environmental studies, etc).
- At least 4 years experience working for not-for-profit organizations and/or programmes, including finance and administration for grant-funded projects (NGO and/or government).
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure, trouble-shoot, and to meet short- and long-term deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent critical and creative thinking and analytical skills
- A demonstrated ability to work in multicultural environments.
- Advanced digital literacy skills, including experience with collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Slack and Asana. Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite including Excel is a must.
The SecDev Foundation works to support better digital futures for all. We recognize that cyberspace is changing everything†on a global scale, from development and economic opportunities through to the security and safety of people, communities and states. We operate globally — with civil society networks, industry and governments — to help communities pursue digital opportunity, safety and citizenship. We work to ensure all of our partners and beneficiaries — especially women, youth and vulnerable groups — have the skills and knowledge they need to protect themselves from digital harm, and become great digital citizens.
We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on savvy digital entrepreneurs. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies build digital bridges of trust amongst themselves and each other.
The SecDev Foundation is a Canadian-based NGO with current operational programming in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Eurasian region. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google. Our past and present partnerships and projects are located in Eurasia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe and Canada.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the email subject line write: “Coordinator – Myanmar”. Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate for this position. Competitive cover letters will show us how your experience fits our key position requirements.
Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents.
Deadline for Applications: 15 February 2020.
Hire expected: March 2020
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.