Organization: The SecDev Foundation, Canada
Contract Type: 2+ year, fixed term contract with possibility for extension
Responsible for: Line coordination of the Digital Citizenship Eurasia(#DCE) programme
Reports to: Regional Programme Manager-#DCE
Thematic Focus: Digital Citizenship responsibilities, rights and opportunities
Location: Ottawa, Ontario Canada, with trips to the region
Job Start Date: March 2019
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Enthusiasm, and a passion to make a difference in the world;
- A programme officer with experience supporting and coordinating grant-based or international development-type projects, preferably in the Eurasia region;
- Ideally someone who has previously worked alongside a senior programme manager, and knows how to support that position in every aspect;
- Strong organizational skills, meticulous attention to details, and ability to ensure that the programme, and all of its implementers, meet key deadlines;
- Proven experience with: event management and budgeting, subcontracing, invoicing, procurement, timelines and workplan line management, data management for M&E, technical reporting;
- Highly developed ability to work with in-field partners, and collaborate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Excellence in written English for technical reporting, policy briefs, communications;
- Knowledge of, or interest in acquiring knowledge of, the amazing potential of digital citizenship as an operational framework for civil society in the Eurasia region.
- Definite assets: Experience with managing online social media accounts and or public awareness-raising campaigns, crazy creativity and out-of-the box thinking; working ability in Russian;
The #DigitalCitizenship Eurasia programme will launch a series of public “hackathon” competitions — bringing together teams of civil society, industry, academia and others — to develop innovative ideas/tools for Digital Citizenship development. Winners of the “DigiHack” competition will move forward to have their great ideas turned into reality!
This role will help to ensure that the Digital Citizenship Eurasia programme makes an innovative and significant contribution to public engagement, innovation and programming in support of Digital Citizenship in the Eurasia region. Reporting to the Regional Programme Manager, the Project Coordinator will assist that position with all aspects of the programme, as required, from coordinating workplans with regional implementing partners, through to data collection and analysis, through to capturing lessons learned, and facilitating the programme’s online presence.
Project implementation, Partner liaison and Reporting – Support the Regional Programme Manager in all aspects of project implementation and reporting, as required. Duties may include: drafting and maintaining the country-level workplans; support with research and innovative thinking around digital citizenship themes and applications; liaison with regional implementing partners on all aspects of in-field event and campaign management; outreach to other project support partners in academia and industry; support to programme advisory committees; support to data collection,monitoring and evaluation tracking, development of lessons learned; and regular technical reporting.
Finance and Resource Management – Support Regional Programme Manager in management of aspects of the programme’s budget, procurement, travel, and subcontractors.
Programme/Foundation Representation and Funding – As requested, represent the programme and Foundation to various stakeholder groups and donors.
SKILLS EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE
- University Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Gender/Development Studies or other relevant discipline is required.
- Advanced University degree in above fields is highly desirable.
Experience Required and Desired
- At least two years of progressive experience in project development and coordination, preferably within an international development organization.
- Experience supporting/working with local partners.
- Experience in writing and communicating concise, clear assessments and technical reports in English.
- Knowledge/experience in M&E;
- Additional desired experience:
- Working in, or knowledge of, the Eurasia region and thematic issues relevant to the programme desired (CSOs, NGOs, digital citizenship, digital economy);
- Online communications/campaigning experience and/or training experience is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, writing) is required.
- Working ability in Russian is desired.
- Accountability – Takes responsibility for actions and manages constructive criticisms.
- Communication – Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner; actively listens and overcomes differences by finding common ground.
- Ethics – Treats all individuals with respect; demonstrates confidentiality and discretion across all aspects of work; upholds and protects the integrity of Foundation programmes, policies and people at all times.
- Leading Self and Others – Acts as a positive role model contributing to team spirit; collaborates and supports the development of others.
- Partnering – Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter, informed by continuous learning; is not afraid to ask questions.
- Results Orientation – Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and others to accomplish goals; Sees opportunities and takes initiative to act; demonstrates agility amidst changing circumstances and can effectively adapt.Always pursues continuous improvement.
- Solution Focused – Evaluates data, risk environment and course of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Applies innovation and creativity in problem-solving.
The SecDev Foundation works to support better digital futures for all. We recognize that cyberspace is changing everything on a global scale, from development and economic opportunities through to the security and safety of people, communities and states. We operate globally — with civil society networks, industry and governments — to help communities pursue digital opportunity, safety and citizenship. We work to ensure all of our partners and beneficiaries — especially women, youth and vulnerable groups — have the skills and knowledge they need to protect themselves from digital harm, and become great digital citizens. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on savvy digital entrepreneurs. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies build digital bridges of trust amongst themselves and each other.
The SecDev Foundation is a Canadian-based NGO with current operational programming in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Eurasian region. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google. Our past and present partnerships and projects are located in Eurasia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe and Canada.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the email subject line write: “Programme Officer–Digital Citizenship Eurasia” Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate for this position. Competitive cover letters will show us how your experience fits our key position requirements.
Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents.
Deadline for Applications: ASAP. Interviews are first come, first served.
Hire expected: March 2019
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.