Organization: The SecDev Foundation, Canada
Contract Type: Fixed term contract, with possibility for extension
Responsible for: Project management and coordination for SalamaTech project
Reports to: Executive Director, SecDev Foundation
Thematic Focus: Digital safety, protection and emergency response, Syrian civil society, women and youth
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Start date: March or April 2019
WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Enthusiasm, and a passion to make a difference in the world;
- An experienced project coordinator or manager with demonstrated ability to coordinate a complex, well established multi-country development project
- Strong experience in monitoring and evaluation; excellent writing skills for both technical reporting and communications materials
- Highly developed networking and relationship-building skills, an ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of partners
- Proven ability to work well in a team; ability to coordinate project operations among a team of local and remote staff
- Strong organizational skills, meticulous attention to details, and ability to ensure that the programme, and all of its implementers, meet key deadlines;
- Knowledge of digital safety best practice and/or and an interest in learning
- Knowledge of regional operational environment, specifically Syrian civil society in the context of the current conflict and/or an interest in acquiring knowledge
- Knowledge of Arabic language is an asset
The SecDev Foundation is known for innovative global programming that helps local populations navigate the risks and opportunities of our digital world. From small beginnings, we have grown rapidly; our on-the-ground programming now extends across most regions of the world. Our SalamaTech project supports Syrian civil society, women and youth to operate safely and effectively online. Since the project launch in 2012, the SalamaTech team has helped tens of thousands of Syrians learn how to stay safe online in Syria and the region, through trainings, emergency response, awareness campaigns, and expert support. The SalamaTech Project Coordinator is a key hub for the project’s many different online and offline activities and partnerships, ensuring seamless cooperation between HQ and the field. The Project Coordinator plays a critical role in ensuring beneficiary changing needs are met with effective responses and capturing the project impacts and learning.
Reporting to the SecDev Foundation Executive Director, and working closely with the SalamaTech core team, the Project Coordinator/Manager helps to coordinate all aspects of the SalamaTech project, through developing and tracking project work plans, monitoring and evaluating project progress towards objectives, developing regular technical reports on project activities for internal review and for funders, coordinating project activities among all team members, and fostering collaboration and engagement across all local and remote staff. In addition, the Project Coordinator/Manager plays a key role in growing and maintaining strategic partnerships, and directly supervises up to two staff.
The responsibilities of the Project Coordinator include:
- Monitor and update project work plan and task lists; track progress towards project objectives
- Work with all team members to identify and implement priority activities
- Update and manage the online document management system (Google Drive)
- Draft project and team protocols, policies, and procedures
- Oversee subcontractor contracts
- Supervise up to two staff members
Monitoring and Evaluation, Reporting
- Develop, track, and update project indicators
- Develop and maintain tracking databases for recording and analyzing project data
- Evaluate and analyze project outcomes; assist with the development of evaluation methods to measure success and impact of project activities
- Prepare regular technical reports according to funding requirements and as needed for internal purposes, including identification and drafting of impact stories
Partnerships and Outreach
- Support the identification, vetting, and development of strategic project partnerships
- Maintain partnership database
- Prepare partnership agreements
- Directly manage some partnerships and coordinate with partnerships managed by other team members
- Represent the project as requested at various fora
- Support development of project materials and content; draft website text, promotional materials, awareness materials in English; provide copy-editing of all English language project materials
- Coordinate among project team and comms department to facilitate production process of all multi-media content
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of three years proven experience in project development and coordination, preferably with an iNGO, with a focus on reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and partnership development
- University degree in international development, international relations, social sciences, or other related field
- Prior experience working with an international development organization, ideally in the MENA region
- Superlative team facilitation skills
- Experience in writing and communicating concise, clear analyses and technical reports in English
- Fluency in English is required; working ability in Arabic is an asset
The SecDev Foundation works to support better digital futures for all. We recognize that cyberspace is changing everything on a global scale, from development and economic opportunities through to the security and safety of people, communities and states. We operate globally — with civil society networks, industry and governments — to help communities pursue digital opportunity, safety and citizenship. We work to ensure all of our partners and beneficiaries — especially women, youth and vulnerable groups — have the skills and knowledge they need to protect themselves from digital harm and become great digital citizens. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on savvy digital entrepreneurs. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies build digital bridges of trust amongst themselves and each other.
The SecDev Foundation is a Canadian-based NGO with current operational programming in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Eurasian region. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google. Our past and present partnerships and projects are located in Eurasia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe and Canada.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the email subject: “Project Coordinator– SalamaTech”. Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate for this position. Competitive cover letters will show us how your experience fits our key position requirements.
Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents.
Deadline for applicants: March 25, 2019
Hire Expected: March or April 2019.
We recommend early application. We will be starting to interview before the posted deadline. We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you for your interest in this position; please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.