Organization: The SecDev Foundation, Canada
Contract Type: Full-time employment (Part-time will be considered)
Responsible for: Digital safety content development, writing and updating, online portal management; digital safety campaigns and training
Project Focus: SalamaTech Project – Digital safety protection and emergency response for Syrian civil society actors, women, and youth located in Syria and the surrounding region.
Duty Station: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Position Start Date: As soon as we have the right candidate
WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- A solid understanding of, and interest in digital safety best practice, procedures and tools, and interest in staying up to date;
- Experience in producing online content for a range of platforms and audiences; ability to develop simplified guidance on IT-related matters for non-technical audiences
- Strong organizational and content management skills
- Experience with digital comms and social media strategy
- Knowledge of regional operational environment in Syria and the surrounding region, specifically Syrian civil society in the context of the current conflict and/or an interest in acquiring knowledge
- Proven ability to work well in a team and contribute to a collaborative environment
- Fluency in Arabic is essential (including strong writing skills); strong English language skills are also needed.
- Experience with online campaigning, social media analytics and/or development of digital safety decks/packs are all definite pluses.
The SalamaTech project supports Syrian civil society and human rights defenders to operate safely and effectively online. Since the project launch in 2012, the SalamaTech team has helped tens of thousands of Syrians and civil society organizations learn how to stay safe online, through trainings, emergency response, awareness campaigns, and expert support. Our online digital safety team plays a critical role in this effort, complimenting and supporting our in-field, on-the-ground assistance. We are looking for a motivated and talented individual to join our online team and maintain SalamaTech’s standards for online excellence. This job directly improves the safety and well-being of beneficiaries on the ground.
Production of simple digital safety how-to-guides, learning materials, briefs and management of online portal
- Digital Safety Content for Non-Techies in Arabic. Produce and provide ongoing updates to online learning resources in Arabic, from simple how-to-guidances to wiki entries to training of training packages, and manage other resources populating the online portal (awareness videos, tip sheets etc); Includes custom content development for women and girls (in collaboration with field team members and other teams);
- Online Portal. Contribute strongly to rebuild, relaunch and ongoing management of the SalamaTech online learning portal and its repository of Arabic language digital safety learning materials (print, videos, infographics, training materials);
- Research and media. Produce short briefs or media pieces on digital risk and digital safety best practices, specific to the needs and contexts of Syrian civil society (may include radio spots);
- Work with wider SalamaTech and Comms Teams on production of responsive infographics, videos and online Campaigns
- Strategic Online Partnerships. Develop and manage strategic online partnerships to amplify reach, including to hard-to-reach populations;
- Emergency Response and Technical Assistance. As part of the online assistance team, actively support the emergency response function and provision of technical online assistance;
- Online Training and Assistance. Contribute to the development and delivery of short online trainings to hard-to-reach beneficiaries in need;
- Foundation-wide engagement. Engage in cross-project collaboration with all Foundation programs and teams to exchange knowledge, resources, and best practices
Support to online strategy and impact
- Track and analyze key usage indicators to provide regular reports on use, and develop recommendations for enhancing impact; evaluate effectiveness of SalamaTech online initiatives, including digital alerts and awareness raising campaigns;
- Support the research and identification of new online audiences, and develop appropriate outreach strategies and partnerships;
- Support the collection, analysis, and translation of input from SalamaTech field team and users on the digital security risks and needs of Syrian civil society, in order to inform SalamaTech online strategy
ABOUT THE SECDEV FOUNDATION
The SecDev Foundation works to support better digital futures for all. We recognize that
cyberspace is changing everything on a global scale, from development and economic
opportunities through to the security and safety of people, communities and states. We operate globally — with civil society networks, industry and governments — to help communities pursue digital opportunity, safety and citizenship. We work to ensure all of our partners and beneficiaries — especially women, youth and vulnerable groups — have the skills and knowledge they need to protect themselves from digital harm, and become great digital citizens. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on savvy digital entrepreneurs. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies build digital bridges of trust amongst themselves and each other.
The SecDev Foundation is a Canadian-based NGO with current operational programming in the Middle East and North Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and across the Eurasian region. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google.
Would you like to join our team?
If you think you have what it takes, please apply so we can start the conversation!
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] In the email subject line write: “Project Officer – Digital Safety Content, SalamaTech” Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate to assume this position for The SecDev Foundation. Your competitive cover letter will show us how your experience fits our key requirements.
NOTE: Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents. Written fluency in Arabic is a mandatory requirement.
Deadline for Applications: As soon as possible.
Hire required: August/September 2019, but the right fit is everything.
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.