The SecDev Foundation is seeking a talented Project Officer to support our digital citizenship initiative supporting youth in Southeast Asia.
Organization: The SecDev Foundation
Contract type: Fixed term, 12 months full-time with potential to extend.
Responsibilities: Support the regional program manager on project design and implementation; social media outreach and campaigning, managing partners and subcontractors monitoring and evaluating progress; and reporting on results to project donors.
Project focus: Digital safety and digital citizenship engagement for youth in Vietnam, Myanmar and Cambodia, with a secondary focus on the civil society groups working in support of youth and other target beneficiaries.
Duty station: Ottawa, Canada
Position start date: October 2019 or shortly thereafter.
We are looking for:
- A solid understanding of, and interest in, digital citizenship and digital safety best practice;
- Strong knowledge of Southeast Asia social, political, digital and civil environments, especially youth and civil society;
- Experience in project management for non-profit programs and organizations, including managing subcontractors, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting on results to funders and others;
- Strong organizational skills, including managing team-based workplans and calendars. Event management experience is a plus.
- Experience with digital communications and social media strategy;
- Proven ability to work well in a team and contribute to a collaborative environment.
- Experience and/or knowledge of youth organizations;
- Excellent English language skills required;
- Fluency in Vietnamese, Burmese or Khmer (including reading/writing skills) is strongly desired but not a requirement;
- Experience with online campaigning, social media analytics and/or development of digital safety outreach materials are all definite pluses;
- Experience and/or knowledge of youth organizations
- Assist the senior program manager in developing action plans and milestones for all project components.
- Assist the program manager in implementing project activities and in reporting to the SDF executive director on progress and results.
- Help manage the project budget by ensuring costs are in-line with projections.
- Assist with data collection, assessment and M&E reporting;
- Maintain a project calendar and liaise with project stakeholders on upcoming activities, milestones and deadlines.
- Help develop and update results reporting metrics, working with project collaborators to ensure timely progress updates.
- Track project risk updates to ensure a risk register is updated and accurate.
- Liaise with project collaborators and partners to ensure smooth delivery of project activities and milestones.
- Assist in writing bids, contracts and other administrative documents in support of project activities.
- Maintain an updated registry of all project subcontractors and contracts/
- Assist in monitoring and evaluating results, while maintaining and updating project progress documentation.
- Draft quarterly narrative report and assist with financial reporting.
Qualifications and skills required:
- A university degree, or equivalent professional experience. Preference will be given to candidates with postgraduate degrees or certificates in fields related to international development and public policy (such as social sciences, law, environmental studies, etc), and or regional expertise;
- At least 4 years experience working for not-for-profit organizations and/or programmes, including finance and administration for grant-funded projects (NGO and/or government).
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure, trouble-shoot, and to meet short- and long-term deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with proven trackrecord of drafting substantive reports for donors
- Excellent critical, creative thinking and analytical skills
- A demonstrated ability to work in multi-cultural environments.
- Fluency in one of Vietnamese, Burmese or Khmer languages is a definite asset.
- Advanced digital literacy skills, including experience with collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Slack and Asana. Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite including Excel is a must.
- Confirmed permits work in Canada.
Commensurate with experience, with an expected mid-range of CDN 60,000-70,000.
About the SecDev Foundation
The SecDev Foundation works to support better digital futures for all. We recognize that cyberspace is changing everything on a global scale, from development and economic opportunities through to the security and safety of people, communities and states. We operate globally – with civil society networks, industry and governments – to help communities pursue digital opportunity, safety and citizenship. We work to ensure all of our partners and beneficiaries – especially women, youth and vulnerable groups – have the skills and knowledge they need to protect themselves from digital harm, and become great digital citizens. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on savvy digital entrepreneurs. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies build digital bridges of trust amongst themselves and each other.
The SecDev Foundation is a Canada-based NGO with current operational programming in the Middle East and North Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and across the Eurasian region. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google.
Would you like to join our team?
If you think you have what it takes, please apply so we can start the conversation!
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the email subject line write: “Project Officer – Southeast Asia”
Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate to assume this position for The SecDev Foundation. Your competitive cover letter will show us how your experience fits our key requirements.
Deadline for Applications: 21 October 2019, although interviews will start as early as 10 October and last until position is filled with top-level candidate.
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.