Position type: Term Contract with possibility for renewal.
Responsible for: Regional programme across Eurasia and Baltics, including supervision of Digital Safety Response and Training field team, Reports to Executive Director.
Thematic Focus: Practical Digital Safety for Civil Society Organizations.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario Canada, with frequent trips to the region.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- A highly experienced senior programme manager with strong leadership and expertise in overseeing complex multi-country development initiatives, especially in the areas of: programme quality and responsiveness, delivery of results, data and results capture and communication, coordination of remote teams, partner outreach.
- Proven ability to develop and deliver sensitive programming in challenging operational contexts, with experience in the Eurasia region and knowledge of the CSO landscape; knowledge of digital safety is desired.
- Highly developed networking and relationship-building skills, excellent ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, superior ability to inspire talented team members.
- Proven ability to gather and document learning and experience within and across operational contexts, and an evidence-based track record of excellence in M&E and technical reporting.
For the past two years, the CyberSAR (Cyber Security Audit and Remediation) programme has been piloting innovative methods to sustainably reduce the cyber vulnerabilities of smaller at-risk civil society organizations in the Eurasia region.
To ensure that the CyberSAR programme makes a significant and lasting difference in the safety and security of CSOs in the Eurasia region. The Regional Programme Manager (RPM) is responsible for upholding the excellence of the CyberSAR programme and continuing its build-out across the wider Eurasia region. The RPM will keep his/her sights clearly on project objectives and innovate to overcome complex challenges. S/he will prioritize engagement with local partners and associates to ensure programming is relevant, responsive and is shaping strategic, sustained outcomes. S/he will ensure that lessons learned are shared across the programme, the Foundation and the wider stakeholder environment.
Programme Leadership, Management, Compliance, Reporting
- Provide strategic and technical leadership, ensuring all project objectives are met, including expansion of programme into new countries of operation;
- Ensure the excellence of project outputs and results through a process of ongoing analytical consultation, reflection, and development of modifications as required;
- Manage project timelines and ensure effective troubleshooting as challenges arise;
- Work with team members to provide persistent analysis of events, individuals and networks in the project’s areas of operation;
- Ensure robust mechanisms are in place to capture and share lessons learned, support continuous learning and development, track outputs and capture outcomes;
- Consistently work to streamline and simplify data capture and field reporting mechanisms while maintaining robust and timely data and analysis;
- Assume primary responsibility for the production of quarterly technical reports in line with the Foundation’s standards of excellence;
- Uphold compliance requirements, by ensuring appropriate processes and documentation are in place as per SecDev Foundation policies and grant compliance requirements.
- Lead, motivate and mentor a high performing technical team, including hiring of new in-region technical / training staff, as per project expansion requirements;
- Supervise, motivate and engage with the project’s research team, to ensure timely delivery against ToRs and ensure adequate peer review of results;
- Maintain regular reporting to the Executive Director and Project Technical Advisor.
Partnership Development and Maintenance
- Build strategic partnerships to maximize project impact and benefit to stakeholders;
- Guide nominating and selection process for new qualifying beneficiaries;
- Maintain close contact with programme’s strategic outreach partner in the region, and continue to develop in-region educational activities.
Capture and Communication of Results
- Continually refine data capture and analysis to communicate programme effects;
- Ensure wide dissemination of project research results, including through webpage and social media;
- Oversee social media outreach, online campaigns, and audience engagement.
Finance and Resource Management
- Budget, fund and contract oversight; regularly review budget to deliver programme objectives, including full participation in monthly financial review processes (supported by Foundation administrative and financial staff).
Programme/Foundation Representation and Funding
- Act as the principal liaison and ambassador for the programme with national and international partners, and coordinate with complementary initiatives;
- Represent the Foundation/programme at international conferences;
- Prepare proposals for programme cost extensions (additional years of operation), and proactively identify related funding opportunities.
SKILLS EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Education & Years Experience
- Advanced University Degree in business administration, project management, or social/political sciences, international relations, law or other relevant area.
- University degree in above fields with strong in-field experience may also be considered.
- 5+ years experience in similar positions of progressive responsibility, coordinating complex programmes, managing country teams and engaging with multiple partners and stakeholders in an international development / donor-funded context;
- Multi-year experience working in the Eurasia region, preferably with local CSOs and/or on issues related to digital safety, training and/or capacity-building;
- Outstanding organizational skills, with the ability to work with many priorities, deadlines, and partners operating in challenging environments;
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and team-building/management skills;
- Superlative communication skills, especially in relation to understanding the priorities and constraints of project beneficiaries and stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets, and plan strategically and creatively to meet project objectives;
- Experience producing clear written assessments and technical reports in English; experience with producing research products is an asset.
- Full fluency in English (speaking, reading, writing) is required.
- Higher-level working ability in Russian is required; full fluency is a definite asset.
- Accountability – Takes responsibility for actions and manages constructive criticisms;
- Communication – Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner; actively listens and overcomes differences by finding common ground;
- Ethics – Treats all individuals with respect; demonstrates confidentiality and discretion across all aspects of work; upholds and protects the integrity of Foundation programmes, policies and people at all time;
- Leading Self and Others – Acts as a positive role model contributing to team spirit; collaborates and supports the development of others;
- Partnering – Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Professionalism – Displays mastery of subject matter, informed by continuous learning; is not afraid to ask questions;
- Results Orientation – Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and others to accomplish goals; Sees opportunities and takes initiative to act; demonstrates agility amidst changing circumstances and can effectively adapt. Always pursues continuous improvement;
- Solution Focused – Evaluates data, risk environment and course of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Applies innovation and creativity in problem-solving.
The SecDev Foundation works to support better digital futures for all. We recognize that cyberspace is changing everything on a global scale, from development and economic opportunities through to the security and safety of people, communities and states. We operate globally — with civil society networks, industry and governments — to help communities pursue digital opportunity, safety and citizenship. We work to ensure our partners and beneficiaries — especially women, youth and vulnerable groups — have the skills and knowledge they need to protect themselves from digital harm, and become great digital citizens. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on savvy digital entrepreneurs. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies build digital bridges of trust amongst themselves and each other.
The SecDev Foundation is a Canadian-based NGO with current operational programming in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Eurasian regions. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google. Our past and present partnerships and projects are located in Eurasia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe and Canada.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] In the email subject line write: “Regional Programme Manager – Eurasia (CyberSAR).” Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate for this position. Competitive cover letters will show us how your experience fits our our key position requirements.
Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents.
Deadline for Applications: Until filled.
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted