Organization: The SecDev Foundation, Canada
Contract Type: Part time (20 hours per week) – 12 months, fixed term contract with possibility for extension
Responsible for: Managing the social media platforms related to the [email protected] Kuwait
Reports to: Digital Safety Officer
Thematic Focus: Women, youth : Digital safety, protection and emergency response, online or technology-facilitated gender-based violence.
Job Start Date: January 2020
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR
- Deep understanding of social media strategies, guidelines and practices.
- Active engagement on social media networks, with an eye on interesting and relevant networking and outreach opportunities
- Familiarity with the Kuwaiti cultural, especially related to women’s affairs and interests
The Digital Safety-MENA programme will deliver digital safety awareness campaigns that target women and youth, build online repositories of easy to use digital safety guidance, deliver online and offline training, build in-country emergency response systems and facilitate the growth of local networks of digital advocates. Kuwait is one of six countries in which the project will be implemented.
The Social Media Coordinator will manage the social media channels related to Kuwait, in close collaboration with the [email protected] Digital Safety Program Officer, the management team, and other country coordinators. The coordinator is expected to closely follow social media trends relevant to the programme’s themes, and quickly capitalize on opportunities. The coordinator will closely follow the social media protocol of [email protected] and maintain an open channel of communication with the team.
- Set up and manage the social media pages for Kuwait in [email protected] Programme
- Closely follow social media activities and trends in Kuwait, especially related to women’s issues and interests
- Work closely with [email protected] Digital Safety Program Officer to identify local digital safety issues that can be addressed and incorporated into the programme’s social media content
- Identify and reach out to social media influencers and other channels to amplify the programme’s reach and impact.
- Actively collaborate with other social media coordinators to share information and resources
- Create content related to the local context, with great sensitivity to local culture and norms
- Localize content from the social media channels of other countries
- Engage with users who send questions and comments to the pages
- Monitor the engagement on Kuwait’s social media pages, and advise the [email protected] Digital Safety
- Program Officer on best strategies to reach the targets of the programme.
- Closely work with the management team to collect relevant data for reports
- Receive online requests for technical support and refer them to help centers as appropriate
- Participate in the project’s regional campaigns
- Identify local digital safety champions to promote digital safety in Kuwait
- University degree in media, communication or other relevant discipline is required.
- At least one year of progressive experience in communications, with a focus on social media
- Online communications/campaigning experience required
- Demonstrated experience in content creation
- Good knowledge of gender and/or women’s issues
- Experience working on digital safety is highly desirable
- Experience working with remote team members
- Experience supporting national / regional networks of local partners
- Accountability – Takes responsibility for actions and manages constructive criticisms.
- Communication – Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner; actively
listens and overcomes differences by finding common ground.
- Ethics – Treats all individuals with respect; demonstrates confidentiality and discretion across all aspects of work; upholds and protects the integrity of Foundation programmes, policies and people at all times.
- Leading Self and Others – Acts as a positive role model contributing to team spirit; collaborates and supports the development of others.
- Partnering – Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter, informed by continuous learning; is not afraid to ask questions.
- Results Orientation – Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and others to accomplish goals; Sees opportunities and takes initiative to act; demonstrates agility amidst changing circumstances and can effectively adapt.Always pursues continuous improvement.
- Solution Focused – Evaluates data, risk environment and course of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Applies innovation and creativity in problem-solving.
The SecDev Foundation works to support better digital futures for all. We recognize that cyberspace is changing everything†on a global scale, from development and economic opportunities through to the security and safety of people, communities and states. We operate globally — with civil society networks, industry and governments — to help communities pursue digital opportunity, safety and citizenship. We work to ensure all of our partners and beneficiaries — especially women, youth and vulnerable groups — have the skills and knowledge they need to protect themselves from digital harm, and become great digital citizens.
We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on savvy digital entrepreneurs. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies build digital bridges of trust amongst themselves and each other.
The SecDev Foundation is a Canadian-based NGO with current operational programming in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Eurasian region. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google. Our past and present partnerships and projects are located in Eurasia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe and Canada.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the email subject line write: “Social Media Coordinator – Kuwait” Cover letter guidance: in 400 words or less tell us concisely and clearly why you are the best candidate for this position. Competitive cover letters will show us how your experience fits our key position requirements.
Both elements — resume and cover letter — are required documents.
Deadline for Applications: Until filled.
Hire expected: January 2020
We will not be accepting phone calls or faxes. We thank you very much for your interest in this position, but please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.